What you do during the day and your bedroom can have a significant impact on your quality of sleep. Here’s a quick list to help you improve your sleep habits and get a more restful nights sleep!
What Will Hurt Your Sleep
- Don’t drink anything with caffeine after 2pm – coffee even 6 hours before bedtime has been show to decrease sleep quality
- Don’t take vitamins with B12 in the evening
- Don’t drink lots of fluids before bed
- Don’t work or watch TV in bed during the day
- Don’t eat a large meal before bed
- Don’t drink a lot of alcohol before bed. It will initially make you sleepy but can make you wake up more often at night.
What Can Help You Sleep Better
- Lower the temperature in your bedroom – 60 to 67 degrees Fahrenheit is ideal ( 16 – 20 Celsius)
- Track Your Sleep – I really like Fitbits and the Hello Sense
- Try a white noise generator (this is my favorite)
- Try taking b12 in the morning – it’s been shown to increase melatonin production at night
- Reduce your exposure to blue light a few hours before sleeping
- Workout more often, but make sure it’s at least 3 hours before bed.
- Get out in the sun during the day
- Try to set a sleep schedule and stick to it
Still not able to sleep? Try a cold compress on your forehead before bed to help your body feel more tired.